Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Secret Shopper

The library I used for my secret shopper was a small library that didn't have a designated reference or information desk. Everything was done at the main desk from circulation to answer information questions. The lady that help me did a good job of asking what type of book I was looking for and when I told her I enjoy to read young adult she went on to ask me what genre I usually read. She never once looked anything up on the computer but she was still able to help me find a book I would like by discussing the books I had already read and enjoy and ones that she had read and liked. With her knowledge of young adult books, she was able to recommend a book that she had just read that she thought I would like. The book she recommended was 'An Enchantment of Ravens" by Margaret Rogerson. When I got home I looked it up on Novelist and found out that it had several read-alikes of books that I have read.

This experience has helped me look at what I currently do when people ask me this question and what I should and shouldn't do. Since she didn't need resources to help me find a book I would like I asked her what she usually uses when she is helping people look for a new book to read and she doesn't know much about it. She told me she usually uses Goodreads to find books for patrons. Overall she did a good job of being able to help me find a book that I would like and helped me see what it looks like to have an engaging conversation about books form the patron's point of view.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you had a good experience. I think that it is kind of nice that the librarian could give you a good recommendation without using any tools. However it is nice to know she does use one when she needs one. Are you going to read the book that she suggested?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I get a chance I plan on trying to read the book she recommended. It sound pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, i think it's great she could recommend something without having to use the resources. I wonder how many books she reads regularly and how many different genres she feels comfortable reading and recommending like that. I am interested in the different ways people can find books for other people to enjoy/read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nice when a librarian knows the books in the library. If the librarian knows the section or reads from that genre then they know what the books are like, even if just from knowing it's not a book they would pick. I usually can recommend from the section I am familiar with, but if it is a section I don't read much of I usually turn to Fantastic Fiction for help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great summary! I find that this kind of interaction happens a lot, especially when you have similar reading tastes as the person you're helping. Then you don't have to rely as heavily on online resources. Great job!

    ReplyDelete